VACANCY | Senior Programme Officer, Children and the Law
The African Child Policy Forum (ACPF) is a leading, independent pan-African centre of policy research and dialogue on the African child based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It aims to provide a platform for dialogue; contribute to improved knowledge of the problems facing children in Africa; identify policy options; and strengthen the capacity of NGOs and governments to develop and implement effective pro-child policies and programmes.
ACPF is seeking to recruit a motivated, pro-active and experienced candidate for the position of Senior Programme Officer, Children and the Law
The Senior Programme Officer has a critical technical and implementation role in the organisation in terms of ensuring technical coherence and quality of the Programme’s work. He/ she contributes to, and supports the work carried out in the Law Programme, ensuring that the work is relevant, innovative, and of high technical quality. The Senior Programme Officer also ensures that the work is managed and implemented effectively and in accordance with ACPF’s programme priorities and strategies.
- Prepares technically sound, coherent and well presented concept notes and programme/project proposals.
- Contributes to organizational strategic planning documents and processes.
- Develops and manages sound monitoring and evaluation frameworks for the work that he/she is responsible for.
Oversight of Technical Standards/Quality:
- Keeps abreast of new and emerging developments and best practices on issues affecting children through the literature, media etc.
- Contributes to ensuring that the Unit’s work is of the highest technical quality and meets universal best practice and technical standards.
Planning and Organization:
- Contributes to the development of high quality work plans for the Unit,
- Manages and implements work processes according to clearly defined plans, with key milestones
- Ensures agreed outputs are delivered in a timely manner, including for multi-agency projects and for consultants.
Research and Analysis:
- Contributes to the design and implementation of high quality research that meets rigorous academic and ethical standards.
- Undertakes comprehensive literature reviews effectively utilising diverse secondary sources of data and information as part of research work.
- Documents and synthesizes research findings and presents these through high-quality reports.
- Seeks opportunities to publish research findings in peer reviewed journals and other fora.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- Post-graduate university degree in Law, Social Sciences, International Development, Social Work, or other relevant degree;
- Post-graduate qualification in human rights or child rights
- Competency in an African Union Language (in addition to English proficiency) would be an advantage
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience in child law or policy work, preferably in Africa;
- Experience in research and programme implementation on child justice
- Experience and knowledge of research
- Demonstrable programme/project management experience
- Experience in partnership building and networking
- Demonstrable capacity in mobilising and networking
- Analytical, research and policy analysis and advocacy skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Integrity and hard work
Salary and Benefits: As per the organisation’s salary scale and benefit schedule
N.B. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.